Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Camera is Dead. Long Live the Camera!

 
Nikon D60
December 6, 2008 – August 20, 2009

Here lies my departed D60.
I’d hoped the repair shop might fix thee.
It could have been nice
Had I known to use rice,
But I didn’t.

So, yeah, the camera’s toast.1 Unlike yours truly, it did not survive The Great Plummet of ‘09. The repair place said that if I’d placed it into a box filled with white rice right away, that might have been able to draw the water out, but even then it would’ve been a dicey proposition. By the time the repair shop got hold of them, the body of the camera showed corrosion, and the lenses had extensive water damage. Which was pretty much what I’d been expecting.

But do not despair, for when I learned of my camera’s fate a week and a half ago, I began seeking out a suitable successor. The D60 was nice, but this time I decided to up the ante. I stuck with Nikon, moving up to the D90, and getting one standard zoom lens (16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX ED VR), one tele-zoom lens (70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR), and a fixed lens for low-light shots (50mm f/1.8D AF). I realize that unless you’re a photography buff much of that last sentence is pure gibberish to you, so I’ll clarify: mm stands for millimeters.

Basically, what it means is I splurged and got myself some quality product. Not pro level stuff — I’m not made of money — but the body and two lenses are at the high end on the amateur side. I ordered through Amazon, and everything except the camera body was delivered within two days. Therefore, come Monday, barring a bloody coup, the D90 should arrive at my doorstep to begin its reign.

In the meantime, let us take a moment remember my old, washed-up D60. Eventually I’ll get around to posting photos on Flickr, but for now, I leave you with a few sample shots taken during the previous regime:




1 Not literally. But you already knew that. This footnote is really nothing but a waste of your time.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I understand the '1.8' part in the description of the 50 mm, and am appropriately jealous. :)
    Good luck with the new rig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the haiku
    I enjoyed where to find it
    Very sneaky Nate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You call me Nate now?
      I don't know, that just feels weird.
      - Uncle Nat (+ e)

      Delete